Ford Recognized as Michigan Football Legend, Linebacker Morgan to Wear No. 48 Jersey
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- The University of Michigan Athletic Department officially recognized Gerald Ford as a Michigan Football Legend today (Oct. 13) during a pregame ceremony at the Michigan-Illinois football game.
Sophomore linebacker Desmond Morgan (Holland, Mich./West Ottawa) will wear the famed No. 48 jersey for the remainder of his career, switching from No. 44. A Michigan Football Legend patch over the left upper chest will be affixed to the No. 48 jersey worn by Morgan and all other future players donning Ford's jersey number.
Ford, the 38th President of the United States, was a gridiron standout for the Wolverines in the 1930s. A three-year letterman (1932-34) as a center and linebacker, he was an integral member of Big Ten and national championship teams in 1932 and 1933. A Grand Rapids native, Ford was selected as the team’s Most Valuable Player in 1934. After turning down professional contract offers to play for the Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers, Ford entered a career in politics. In April 1981, Ford opened the Gerald R. Ford Library on North Campus and in 1999 the University renamed its world renowned School of Public Policy after Gerald Ford.
Desmond Howard was the inaugural Michigan Football Legend, honored in 2011 during the first night game in Michigan Stadium history. Howard's No. 21 jersey is worn by senior wide receiver Roy Roundtree (Trotwood, Ohio/Trotwood-Madison) in 2012.
Bennie Oosterbaan was recognized as a Michigan Football Legend prior to the 2012 home opener against Air Force, and his No. 47 jersey is being worn by junior/sophomore Jake Ryan (Westlake, Ohio/St. Ignatius). Ron Kramer's No. 87 jersey was recognized prior to the Massachusetts game Sept. 15, and senior tight end Brandon Moore (Trotwood, Ohio/Trotwood-Madison) will wear No. 87 for the remainder of the season. Michigan football greats Francis, Albert and Alvin Wistert also will be honored as Michigan Football Legends prior to the Northwestern game on Nov. 10.
In addition to the permanent patch, the Michigan Football Legends will be featured in a special area to be designed and constructed in the soon-to-be renovated Schembechler Hall. Also, the lockers to be used in both the Schembechler Hall and Michigan Stadium locker rooms will be customized to reflect the fact that those names will forever be recognized as Michigan Football Legends.
- ► 2015 ( 73 )
- ► 2014 ( 231 )
- ► 2013 ( 226 )
- Breaking B1G: Week 10 Preview
- Recruitaholics: Singing Intimidation
- My 5 Takes from Nebraska
- Breaking B1G: Week 10 Bowl Projections
- O Devin! My Devin!
- Our Nebraska Gameday Open Thread
- Nebraska Preview
- Nebraska Preview: Stat Chart
- Breaking B1G: Week 9 Preview
- Recruitaholics: Signed...The Office
- Tuesday Lowdown Activates Sparty Bulldozer Mode
- My 5 Takes From Michigan State
- Breaking B1G: Week 9 Bowl Projections
- Michigan State Photo Gallery
- Found: Paul Bunyan
- Michigan State First Half Thoughts
- Incoming: Denzel Ward
- Gameday Week 8 Digest: Michigan State Week
- Michigan State Preview
- Michigan State Preview: Stat Chart
- MSU's Pat Narduzzi wants the refs to police his de...
- Midweek Media Headlines: Michigan State Week
- Breaking B1G: Week 8 Preview
- Tuesday Lowdown is tweeting we want Desmond Howard...
- Recruitaholics: Is In Mid-Season Form
- Illinois wrap up and bloggers reaction
- Sayonara: David Dawson
- Breaking B1G: Week 8 bowl projections
- Illinois Photo Gallery
- Halftime from the photo deck
- Sophomore LB Desmond Morgan to wear Gerald Ford's ...
- Gameday Week 7 Digest: Illinois Week
- Illinois Preview
- Recruitaholics: Is Kinda Excited
- Illinois Preview: A Statistical Analysis
- Breaking B1G: Week 7 Preview
- Tuesday Lowdown ain't come to play SCHOOL
- Recruitaholics: A Shout Out To Seabass
- Purdue wrap-up and reaction
- Breaking B1G: Week 7 bowl projections
- Gameday Week 6 Digest: Purdue Week
- Purdue Prevue
- A moment with Jim Tressel
- Prevuein' Purdue: A statistical breakdown
- Thursday Lowdown is not search engine optimized
- Breaking B1G: Week 6 breakdown
- Michigan needs to play up their strengths, not the...
- Recruitaholics: A Prediction Away From Rehab
- Defensive lineman Nathan Brink injured at practice...
- Monday Lowdown is mostly just about Michigan State...
- Breaking B1G: Week 6 bowl projections
- ▼ October ( 51 )
- ► 2011 ( 312 )
- ► 2010 ( 270 )
- ► 2009 ( 219 )
- ► 2008 ( 268 )