1. We're two weeks in and everyone in the Big Ten, minus the two Michigan schools and Illinois, are 2-0. This week marks the end of your early "tune-up" or serious OOC play. Are you satisfied with the way your team has played against the cupcakes on your schedule, or happy with the way they've competed against serious competition?
Satisfied?! Are you serious??? All I can say is, at least the plane hasn't crashed into the side of the mountain!
Okay, last year we were 0-2 at this point. So...I should be happy, right? We're 1-1 in a rebuilding year. I'm no Debbie-Downer, so I am going to at least pretend the glass is half-full.
We played like total crap against Utah and lost by 2. Then, we played a little less like crap and beat Miami of Ohio by 10. I'll take both of those games as good tuners for Notre Dame. I'm not totally comfortable going into South Bend. But since when have Michigan fans felt totally comfortable.
2. You knew this was coming. This week's OMG Game of teh Century!!!!1!!1!! until next week's OMG Game of teh Century!!!!1!!1!! is Ohio State versus Southern Cal. Who are you pulling for and why? Further, if you're pulling for one particular team tell me why they'll win, or won't. If you're like me and will be attempting to cure a sunburn from over exposure to the sun during the Michigan Notre Dame game by drinking large quantities of whiskey instead of watching the game, state your excuse.
I am pulling for a massive earthquake to hit right under the middle of the field, crack open the ground, and suck both teams down into the depths of the earth, to never be heard from again.
Just think about it...Jim Tressel, Pete Carroll, both of their teams, both of their bands, Musburger and Herbstreit...all would be gone. Oh the humanity!
3. Besides the above mentioned Game of the Century, there are actually some decent match ups this week in the Big Ten. Purdue v. Oregon; Wisconsin v. Fresno State; Michigan v. Notre Dame; Michigan State v. Florida Atlantic; or Iowa v. Iowa State. I said decent. I didn't say they were all good. Pick the best game from that group, pick the worst game from that group, and Minnesota and Illinois bloggers must post an apology for scheduling Montana State and Louisiana Lafayette respectively.
Well, of course I must take Michigan/ND. Always a big deal no matter the rankings or records.
The worst of that group would surely be Wisconsin/Fresno State. Not only will Wisconsin win, Fresno State will just stop playing football all-together and shut down the program. Okay...maybe not.
4. Out of Conference scheduling is always something that draws the ire of journalists and bloggers alike. You all know how weak your OOC really is. Admit it. You're sad. So fix it. Pick two teams out of conference you really wish your school would schedule. Nursing colleges and the Center for Veterinary Sciences are verboten. Pick two major conference middle to heavy weights or two heavy weight non-BCS conference programs to add to the schedule. (Please note you get to keep your two patsies per season).
I would make the arguement that in-conference scheduling and lack of quality conference opponents gets just as much press...especially in the B10.
If I were Bill Martin, I would try and get a home/home with LSU. Get them up to AA, make it a night game, and make Les Miles really second-guess his decision to stay in Baton Rouge. Plus it would give us another chance to rough up an SEC team whom tOSU lost to in a BCS championship game.
Another one or two teams team that I would love to play would be Nebraska or Texas. Both are B12 powerhouses and worthy of a home and home. I might be more into playing Texas because of family I have down there. But we may seem a little too much like we're following in tOSU's footsteps after their home/home from a few years ago.
5. All college football fans love to tailgate. Even you, you mothers' basement dwelling bloggers, you. Name your beverage of choice on game days. Alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage, your readers need to these things about you, to judge you. Confirm all their suspicions.
I pretty much always end up drinking Labbatt Blue. I can usually only deal with beer during pre-game, especially if it is a noon kickoff. Beer just makes it easier to control your buzz. Plus, it goes better with the standard tailgate fare...burgers, brats, dogs, etc.
Rudy Sucks. Michigan 35-10.