Michigan hands two more offers out:
Michigan offered 2015 Offensive Tackle Henry Roberts a scholarship this past week. The 4 star product from Bellevue, Washington is currently ranked as the #10 offensive tackle and #92nd overall player in the 24/7 rankings. Roberts holds over 15 scholarship offers from across the country. In fact, Roberts holds offers from every school in the Pac-12. While most found out about Roberts’ scholarship offer this week, it was actually last Friday when he was offered. 247s Steve Lorenz caught up with Roberts a couple of days ago to talk to him about his new offer and, this is what he had to say:
"My coach texted me to let me know Michigan had offered. I have been in contact with Coach Funk for a while now and they expressed how interested they were in me. I'm excited about the offer, but I have not talked to the staff since I got it."
Academics seem to be playing a big key in Roberts’s recruitment, so I like Michigan’s chance from that standpoint. However, I think pulling a kid off the west coast will be hard to do with Washington/Stanford/UCLA etc., basically all in his backyard. I think Washington doesn't let Roberts get out of state. His hudl highlights can be seen here.
Michigan also offered 2015 DE Jalen Bates a scholarship this week. Bates is currently ranked as the #18 WDE and #388 playe across the nation according to the 24/7 composite rankings. Bates is ranked as a 3 star player and holds offers from Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Lafayette, Ole Miss, TCU, and Texas Tech. Steve Lorenz also caught up with Bates who had this to say about Coach Jackson offering and visiting Michigan at some point:
"He wants me to come up to camp," Bates noted. "Whether or not I participate is my choice. He just told me that coming up sometime this summer would be the best time to go up there. I'd get a chance to see their facilities and get an idea of what the campus would be like."
Although he has a Michigan connection being a cousin of former Michigan player Jonas Mouton, I don’t like Michigan’s chances of taking Bates out of his home state. Michigan hasn’t pulled a prospect out of Louisiana since the 2010 recruitment cycle with Drew Dileo and Carvin Johnson in the RichRod days. Besides, with the new NCAA rules, why would any kid leave all the delicious food in the south behind?!
Jalens hudl highlights can be seen here.
2016 RB/LB Daelin Hayes announced last week that he would be announcing his college decision on April 27th at the Rivals Camp in Detroit. Not so fast- On Wednesday, Daelin changed his mind and will now decide at a later date. Daelin received an offer from Wisconsin and visited Penn State after Michigan offered in late March. Highlights are below.
· ESPN released their new updated 2015 Top 300 this week. Shaun Crawford fell from #73 to #154, while Garrett Taylor jumped from not even being rated landed at the 106th spot. Tyree Kinnel also jumped from off the board to #182 overall. You can see the whole top 300 here
· 2015 TE Chris Clark visited Michigan on Friday. Clark decommitted from North Carolina in mid April and has also visited Ohio State since.
· 2015 WDE Clelin Ferrel also visited Michigan on Friday. Clelin is ranked as the #85 overall recruit and #7 WDE in the nation. Ferrell spoke with Wolverine247 and had this to say about his visit; "I'm loving it already." Michigan has had luck with Virginia recruits lately, landing Derrick Green and Wilton Speight in back-to-back years.
· 2015 RB Target Damien Harris took a visit to Ohio State this past week. Saturday he will visit Auburn, and on April 26th will visit the Kentucky Wildcats
· Not all that bad news on the 2015 RB situation though. Mike Weber tweeted out this photo last week.
Looks pretty good in blue if you ask me.
You can follow Travis Cooper on twitter @Maizenbluecoop