- ► 2014 (206)
- ► 2013 (226)
- Maize & Blue Mailbag: Helmet Numbers
- 2012 B1G Primetime TV Schedule Released
- Bama Shatters 2011 BCS Coaches Trophy
- 21 is the New 1
- Spring Game Video, Inside Michigan Football
- So the Spring Game Happened
- Spring Game Photos
- Brady Hoke Presser 4/12, BTN Interview [Video]
- Spring Practice Video 4/10, Social Media Stuff
- Incoming: Ben Gedeon
- Spring Scrimmage Highlights 4/6, Fitz Feature [Vid...
- A Look at Michigan's Interior Line Personnel [Vide...
- Michigan Rewind - Spring Show #1
- ▼ April (13)
- ► 2011 (312)
- ► 2010 (270)
- ► 2009 (219)
- ► 2008 (268)
Spring Scrimmage Highlights 4/6, Fitz Feature [Video]
Another nice little spring scrimmage video – this one last Saturday. Some good highlights on both sides of the ball. It could be the music, or the way the video is cut together, but both sides of the ball seem to be getting faster to the point of attack. I really like what I'm seeing from Rawls. The fact that he and the other backs are having success getting through the middle is a both a good sign that the OL is coming together, and tad worrisome from a DL perspective...especially the interior.
I'll be honest, at this point, I'm much more interested in seeing defensive highlights than I am offensive. I have little to no worries about us being able to score points next year. We have bigger holes to fill on defense, although really not that many...mainly just the interior DL.
I'll be a happy camper this Saturday if the #1 defense shows it can hang with the #1 offense – if they even get that chance, which I suspect they will. We probably have one of the top, if not the top offense in the B1G for 2012. And you know what they say about defense and championships...blah blah blah.
Other random thoughts...
• It would seem the TE spot is wide open still. I saw four different guys catch balls here.
• I love Gardner in this video. He looks very poised in the pocket and scrambling, and his passes seem crisp and on-target. His rollout at 1:53 is something I'd love to see more of. We're still missing the illusive video of him at WR. Will we see him lining up out there this Saturday?
• On occasion, the QBs are being rushed a lot on the pocket, and the RBs are being met behind the line of scrimmage. I prefer to look at this as only a good sign for two reasons: 1) Our QBs can scramble out of pretty much anything. 2) Roh is looking good on the strong side, along with Will Campbell looking like he actually gives a damn out there.
• Along those same lines...at screen to VSmith at the 1:48 mark was interesting. It worked well, but you can see it's not Denard's strong suit given his height, but I like that the coaches are working on that play. If he can get the throw down, it will be a nice new little wrinkle to this offense.
• Nice pull by Mealer on the Justice Hayes run at around 2:20. Hayes is looking good in this video. Not an every-down type of back, but he's coming along. I don't think Rawls is either, but he's probably ahead of Hayes. Neither of which, however, are really going to threaten Fitz's carries. See the Fitz feature video at the bottom of this post.
• I've been hearing nothing but great things about Blake Countess at cornerback. And we see a little of that around 1:02. The words "lockdown" and "elite" have been mentioned...and by some pretty reputable sources.
• It should really start to be hitting you by now that this coming season will be the last time we get to see Denard Robinson play for Michigan. When it's all said and done, no matter what happens this year, Denard will go down as one of the most physically gifted and talented players to ever put on the winged helmet. I don't know about you, but I'm going to thoroughly enjoy watching this young man's senior season as a Michigan Wolverine.