Now, on to the excessive examination.
Incoming freshman numbers:
First thing that stands out to me is where is redshirt-freshman OL Christian Pace and where is incoming LB Kellen Jones? It is rumored that both have been battling injuries, Pace at UM, and Jones in HS. There is no word on this yet, but expect this to address at Big Ten Media Days.
Second thing I notice, they assigned #21 to DB Raymon Taylor. This signals to me that there is no plan to retire Desmond Howard's number. Sigh.
Also, UM has added some walk-ons. Including a FB, Joe Kerridge. And a trio of OL, including Graham Glasgow who was just recently said he would be walking-on at OSU. [HT: TWB]
And of course, there are a few jersey number changes to existing players, bullet style:
• CB JT Floyd switched from 18 to 12.
• CB Terrance Talbot switched from 37 to 22, which is now the same # as LB Jake Ryan and Darryl Stonum (who is on the roster, so those off-the-field issues haven't ousted him from the roster so far). Stonum is not such an issue because Talbot will not play offense. But it is an issue on defense because Jake Ryan is expected to see the field extensively this season.
• S Josh Furman switched from 14 to 6.
• Teric Jones was 14 last year, he has no number on the current roster.
• QB Jack Kennedy was 25 and is now 14. How and why a Michigan QB was #25 in the first place is beyond me.
• S Thomas Gordon was 30 and is now 15.
• LB Isaiah Bell was 34 and is now 26.
• LB Merell Evans switched from 9 to 51. This could be so he can see some special teams action as Martavious Odoms will be wearing his #9 on punt/kickoff returns.
• G Ricky Barnum was 56 and will switch to outgoing Stephen Schilling's 52.
• TE Brandon Moore will now be 89, he was 88.
Caught Ira doing a nice rundown of roster changes and going into great detail on each player this morning on WTKA. It's worth a listen:
Ira Discusses 2011 Media Guide Roster by MaizeBlueNation